Tuesday, November 13, 2012

5 Best Uses for Lemons

When life gives you lemons......You get way more than lemonade!



I love how useful lemons are, they truly are a super fruit! Lemons are wonderful because they have strong anti-bacterial, anti-viral and immune boosting powers. This is on top of them being great for our digestive system and liver. Plus it provides humor to me when my son wants to eat lemon slices. If I'm cutting a lemon he will just grab a slice. No matter how many sour, silly faces come of it - he still continues to eat them.
So here are my five favorite uses for lemons:

1.) Flavor & Tenderize a Whole Chicken
I buy and cook whole chickens fairly often, they are easy to prepare and everyone loves a fresh cooked bird. I cut a lemon in half and stuff it inside the chicken, after taking all the guts out. (Ew!) I also slice open little pockets in the birds skin and place butter slices underneath, sprinkle the whole chicken generously with salt and pepper, a little garlic powder and throw that chicken in the oven; cooked according to weight/directions on packaging sticker. About 10 minutes before it is done I rub a stick of butter over the bird to juice it up. This makes the most tender and juicy chicken!
2.) Keep Apples Fresher Longer
My son never ends up eating all the apple slices I cut up for him. I stick the extra in a bowl and squeeze a little lemon juice on them and store in the fridge for later. The lemon keeps the apple slices from browning.
3.) Sore Throat Remedy
Add some fresh lemon juice and honey - another natural germ killer - to a cup of hot water to sooth a sore throat while killing bacteria.
4.) Lemon Cubes
Squeeze some fresh lemon juice into ice cube trays, allow them to freeze and then store in a Ziploc bag. These are awesome to have on hand if you have frequent recipes that call for lemon juice. Also great to thaw and make a quick homemade dressing. Olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette and some lemon juice. Yum!



5.) Clean and Deodorize Your Garbage Disposal
Toss a few lemon peels in the garbage disposal  to kill bacteria and get rid of the nasty disposal smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment