Wednesday, November 7, 2012

One of my favorite books ....

Trust me when I say that I love to read! Ever since I was a child I have been a complete bookworm. I would take a book and a blanket over television, a computer and, of course, cleaning. Since becoming a mother I am unable to indulge as much as I would like, but it makes the time I have to stuff my nose in a novel much more satisfying.
I like to read many sorts of books. I won't lie; I have read both popular series out right now, 50 Shades of Grey and The Hunger Games. Both of which I enjoyed (for different reasons) .....
My favorite books of all are classics, romance, fiction, non-fiction - Ok, ok, so I do not have a defined genre of my favorite, but I do know what one of my favorite books must be.

Under the Tuscan Sun - by, Frances Mayes:


Frances Mayes is a total inspiration to countless women. She is a creative writing Professor at San Francisco State University, a poet, an essayist and an adventurer. After suffering through a terrible divorce she tries to start over with a new man; a great man, Ed, who is also a Professor. They spend their summers' off traveling, mainly Italy. This book is an account of descriptions of past travels and their current adventure in Italy where they decide to purchase a villa. Bramasole - a beautiful, abandoned, horribly messy villa that they dedicated endless tiring hours to restoring.
This book describes in the most perfectly simplistic detail the absolute beauty of Tuscany, surrounding villages and piazzas. Describing daily accounts of restoration, travels, mishaps and cooking adventures in an Italian kitchen. This one comes fully packed with recipes of some fine Italian dishes she would make at Bramasole, using fresh ingredients they would grow in their garden.
It beautifully accounts all we could wonder about enjoying the pure beauty of the Tuscan country side. 
I think she is truly brave and wonderful. I will be forever envious of the courage she had to purchase a home in a foreign land, to enjoy long nights on a Tuscan terrace over looking olive trees and fields of sunflowers, drinking wine, eating grapes, living in totally purity.

Of course they made a Hollywood rendition of the novel in to a movie. Don't get me wrong, I really like the movie. However, no movie can compare to a book.


It stars Diane Lane, gosh she wonderful, but it changed some very good plot points to make it more "Hollywood" - I encourage you to check out the movie, but most important, read this wonderful memoir.



No comments:

Post a Comment