Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Baking Session - Toddler Style

The clouds outside were heavy, the air chilly and my son and I, to be honest, were being lazy. We enjoyed a relaxing morning of playing and coloring. After a quick trip to the store and a much needed nap for him, while I was indulged in the latest novel I'm reading, I decided we needed to do something entertaining for his own sake. So on a cloudy, cold Fall day what else would be better than baking some Chocolate Chip Cookies? That's right, I couldn't think of anything else either:)





So I pulled out the only recipe I ever use for baking chocolate chip cookies ..... I know you must be thinking it is some family secret, a recipe handed down from my great-grandmother or from Mrs. Field's herself. But, the answer is no! I am not the least bit ashamed to admit that my famous cookie recipe is actually none other than the Nestle Toll House recipe. It is fantastic and easy to follow, for those of you who may not be to experienced with baking, this is a big plus.

I begin with pulling out the ingredients we will need. Mixed together with a few, "Hey, don't touch that!" and "Get your fingers out of the butter!", but that is what making things with a toddler entails. While mixing the dry ingredients it took about three solid minutes of stirring the flour before he was fully satisfied. At least my son is thorough :)



Next came the wet ingredients. At which point I had to repeatedly advise Jordan not to lick the spoon that was gooping with butter. However, he was really enjoying life when I cranked the hand mixer on.


After this point I was certain he would loose interest in helping me make cookies and head back off to play with his trucks. But how could I forget that I was about to dump a full bag of chocolate chips into the bowl right in front of him. Since he comes from two parents who are choco-holics, there was no way he could resist this temptation.



Now usually when I bake alone my cookies come out perfectly shaped. Since having such young hands help they looked like this. Custom designed by the cutest boy ever!


We popped these bad boys in the oven and after 20 minutes of baking and cooling down we had a finished product! I was left was a messy counter and this awesome kid hanging out with a cookie he made and his Batman cup of milk.



Yep, homemade Nestle Toll House cookies are definitely going to be more frequent in this house. 
 I have a great helper :)

Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

 

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
  • 1 cup chopped nuts

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.




No comments:

Post a Comment